ECRAN Regional Climate Change Adaptation Conference (final event)
Place: Skopje, FYR of Macedonia
Organizer: ECRAN Secretariat with EC TAIEX Unit
This will be the final event of this cycle of ECRAN support to the countries following the 3 years
programme we have run with the countries to promote climate-proofing action by further
encouraging adaptation actions in key vulnerable sectors and to support better informed decision
making by assessing gaps on knowledge about adaptation. Adaptation Support Tool (AST) have been
used and the framework of the European Commission's Preparedness Scoreboard as tools to guide
the steps to promote adaptation work in the beneficiaries with our series of workshops. To put this
final conference in context, the activities that preceded this conference will be sum up:
- Launch Conference in June 2014 (Skopje);
- Step A: Identify and Prioritise adaptation needs (Tirana, November 2014);
- Step B: Adaptation Options (two times in Zagreb, June and Zagreb, November 2015);
- Step C: Selection and prioritisation of adaptation options (Ankara, February 2016);
- Step D: Implementation, monitoring and evaluation of adaptation options (Podgorica, June 2016).
In addition, three technical training seminars were held on vulnerability assessments in three priority
fields identified during the launch conference in the sectors water management, urban development
and planning and energy planning (in the period January - April 2015).
To keep the steady progress that already started on climate adaptation action in the Western Balkan
countries and Turkey.
To enhance the understanding about climate adaptation action among a core of Beneficiary
Countries’ representatives, creating climate adaptation policies and planning as a basis for action.
Expected Results of the workshop
The expected results are:
- Awareness of the need to pursue follow-up action to ECRAN’s climate adaptation activities
among relevant public administrations in ECRAN beneficiary countries and donor institutions
- Insight in further steps that may be taken at the national and international levels to keep
momentum for climate adaptation action
- Agreement on the need to consolidate and broaden the network of climate adaptation
professionals that was built up under ECRAN’s climate adaptation interventions and to
strengthen their focus on implementing action